Friday, January 27, 2012

I AM RICH

I met Bill at 18, engaged in 2 months and married 8 months later.  Many said it would never work.  Even my parents took a while to accept him.  Never once, has our love ever failed.
When I look back, I realize we had some core values - given to us by our wonderful Christian parents.  We were very lucky that way.  To have both parents together, that loved us and loved each other.
Other thoughts come to mind: God was the center of our lives.  Oh, we had our ups and downs in our faith but we attended church and read His Word.  I never saw a man where his love was so strong - I am still amazed over Bill. There is nothing he would not do for me. (I learned to be careful about that - cause he never said no, lol)  *smile*
It went without saying - we never had a "girls" or "boys" night out.  We did everything together -still do.  Just like our parents.
One very important aspect of our marriage is - we NEVER talked trash about our spouse to "anyone" at work etc.  We "respect" each other.  Even when we disagreed/disgusted with something - we never bad mouthed the other.  I think tearing down another person, especially your spouse is extremely harmful in a marriage.  Swearing? That was a no no to me.
I know we are probably rare when it comes to this - but it is the truth - we have never, ever had a yelling argument.  Maybe it's because I saw that in other marriages and I never wanted that in ours.  Bill, had a very quiet loving father and he was raised to respect women.   Oh don't get me wrong, we have disagreed but my method?  I shut up till I could "prove" my point and gently - when the time was right - reminded him, lol.
But, I have always respected my husband and when he spoke with authority - I listen.
This year it will be 43 years.  Oh man, what a book I could write about our adventures in raising children, lol.   There is so much to tell and share.  I hope someday, my children/grandchildren will read my words that I have laid down here from my heart.   Through all the trails and tribulations, we have endured  - I AM RICH.

No comments:

Post a Comment