Sunday, February 13, 2011

And Sew it goes...

After writing the previous blog on the "old sewing machine"; I had a flood of memories that I wanted to write down...such as:  taking many trips to Grand Forks to buy material, patterns, thread.....
Sharon and I loved to go with Mom and look through pattern books.  Look up the number like #8755 and go to the big drawer and pull it out in your size.  Take it over to the bolts of material:
Then get the thread, zippers if needed.  I can't tell you how many times we did this.  And we all sewed on the same machine. LOL   I think of taking the thin paper of the pattern..lay the material out on the kitchen table, pin the pattern to the material (the right way!!)  Trace areas with that colored tracing paper and that cute little rolling tracing thingy.   Carefully cut and fold till sewing begins.   What an accomplishment when the last touch of ironing is done.  *smile*   My mother was SO talented in sewing.  She sewed just about anything people asked of her.  Lining a coat was always hard for me and doing collars!  Yuck.   I got pretty good on zippers tho.   I still like to sew but now it is just mending; but I am glad I have that talent - as it saves a lot of money. 

1 comment:

  1. I would still love to sew more. Wish I had the patience I once had. I loved the creativity. I have a friend who never learned the 'right' way, and just measures herself, doesn't use patterns, and cuts things out and then sews her outfits by hand, doesn't even use a machine. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete