Friday, February 11, 2011

The Old Singer Sewing Machine

It's quite a sight, isn't it?  I love it.  If this could only talk - as the saying goes.   My mother sewed all of our clothes on this machine, mended and sewed for others around town.   Sharon and I sewed many of our high school clothes on it as well.
Today I mend and do little projects.  I wanted to cover my beautiful Viking Mixer that we make bread in plus baking and my toaster.   So I got to thinking one night - why not use some place mats my mother made - that I never use and design my own cover.  So, I did.


My first memory of a sewing machine was my Grandmother Fitzpatrick with a pedal machine.  I loved that one and I still kick myself to this very day.  Why?  My mother wanted me to take it and I was young and stupid and did not.  A cousin in Illinois I believe has it today.  I do have other cherished pieces from her that I will post at a later day.

1 comment:

  1. Betty, that was a SUPER idea to take Mom's placemats and do that. VERY cool!! I really love reading posts like this where you talk about the past and share your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete